Pages

Friday, November 17, 2006

Writing, Napster and Friday... oh my!

I'm really excited to have joined a writers' group. It is through Meetup.com. There used to be one, but it fizzled out and then died when Meetup required you to pay for the service. But a brave soul, Kirsty, stepped up and made the decisive leap to get another one started. We had our first organizational meeting on Wednesday night. I think that it will be a great group to start with and hopefully we can get others active.

I used to do all of the stuff with the Jaycees... and I didn't realize how much I missed be involved with a group and getting all excited about planning and organizing things. Not to mention the fact that I will be able to have some accountability for my writing!

I was kind of surprised the other day. My grandma isn't the most supportive person and she has a certain idea of the way my life should go. But she was gently nagging me to get back to my writing. She told me how much she loved the articles I wrote for the Herald and how she loved to get that paper so she could see what I was writing next. She was encouraging me to start writing for the Herald again (freelance) and then even told me there was a reporter position open with the Tribune. Of course, she didn't think I could get that. hee hee hee... there's the grandma I know and love. :) But it made me feel good that she did that. My mom and I were also talking about it the other night and she was telling me that she thought that I was a good writer as well.

The thing about writing is that it is so weird and subjective. I have been giving a lot of thought to going back to do some freelance writing while I'm looking for a full-time job. I didn't have a lot of time to devote to writing and selling articles before, but maybe while I'm job hunting, it would be a good time to do it.

I know that Tim doesn't think that writing is a career unless you are some bigwig that is getting paid a lot. I'm not sure what he thinks about my writing because we never talk about it. When I was writing for the Herald, it was early in our relationship and he didn't really say much about anything. I knew that he didn't read my articles... and that was always weird. He didn't even read the book I wrote him for a wedding gift. I don't even know where it is right now. I took it away from him when I saw that he hadn't touched it. I don't know if he just doesn't think that I'm a good writer, and he doesn't want to have to tell me that, or if he just doesn't want to encourage it because he doesn't think that I can make a living doing it. I don't know. I really should talk to him about it. We'll see. He didn't say much about me going to the writing group. I'm also signing up to take a class at Pierce College for winter quarter. It is creative writing: short fiction... I'm so excited!!!! I think that I may also take a photojournalism class that looked really interesting (when they offer it).

It is Friday and I'm feeling like I need to get out of the house. Yesterday, Jessica trapped me into going to Curves and restarting our program. Hahaha. She was the one dragging her feet before, but she hoodwinked me into going yesterday. It was good to go and work out. I think that it will be a positive thing to do now. Before, I was so stressed from work, I had no desire to do much of anything when I got home. It was all I could do to cook dinner before I wanted to crawl into bed. Now I feel like I have a lot more energy.

I think that I might go and get my hair trimmed. It is in desperate need for some TLC. I have totally let it go. I was trying to grow it out, but the last time I colored it, I had to do a double color because it was glowing flourescent red, so now it is thrashed. I just need to have the ends trimmed and get some little style thrown in. I think I'll do that this morning after I take a shower. Then I will have nice hair for Thanksgiving and it should make me feel better. Plus, I have to have better hair for future interviews! :) Tim got his hair cut last night. Thank goodness... it was getting really long. But I am thinking that she didn't cut enough off the top, so I'm kind of reserving judgement on whether it is a good cut or not.

He's heading over to see the kids this weekend. He's flying over this evening, getting a rental car and a hotel room. Not the most cost-effective way to see the kids, but hopefully this will be the last time he does something like this. He's gonna have to stand up to Allison in the future. It is ridiculous.

So I am going to have a long weekend of writing. I'm going to work on my NaNo novel, write an article or two and do some scrapping. A lazy fall weekend to put me in a good mood before the crazy holidays arrive next week.

Somedays I am so excited to just sit and listen to my playlist on Napster. I love being able to have different lists for different moods. Here's a little peek into what I'm listening to today. I'm going to have to scrap this playlist because it's my fave... especially on a sunny Friday!

How To Save a Life - The Fray
Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
Who Says You Can't Go Home - Bon Jovi
When You Were Young - The Killers
Your Life is Now - John Cougar Mellencamp
Modern Love - David Bowie
I Will Follow You Into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie
Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Somebody Told Me - The Killers
Black Horse & the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
Behind These Hazel Eyes - Kelly Clarkson
All These Things That I Have Done - The Killers
For Reasons Unknown - The Killers
These Words - Natasha Bedingfield
Stay With You - Goo Goo Dolls
Under Pressure - David Bowie & Queen
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
Friday I'm In Love - The Cure
Suddenly I See - KT Tunstall
The Impression That I Get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Okay... I've rambled enough and probably no one cares about my damn playlist... but that's okay.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Angelina Schwarz said...

Kimberlee:
(((HUGS!))) I had no idea you were going through all this! Change is so hard, but I know this is all going to be for the best for you! And, I'm so impressed that you're doing your writing again! I think that is just AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You go, girl!! My husband was the one who told me to not to jump in to getting a job last year to pursue my writing career. Well, I did just that, and it was a HUGE wake up call. I have ZERO discipline!! I even had a literary gig waiting for me! All I had to do was finish my dang novel. But I realized writing's just a hobby for me. You, on the other hand, have real drive, so I urge you to go forward with it. I've read some of your fiction shorts, Kim. Keep your day job while you keep writing. As a fellow writer, I'm supportive of you. It is highly subjective, but then again, isn't every artistic realm? Let me know how everything pans out.

Good to see you blogging again. :)

P.S. I love reading people's Napster playlists!