Pages

Friday, April 03, 2009

Random Sestina Generator?

It is National Poetry Month.  Most people don't give a damn about that fact, but since I'm a poet, I'll play along and celebrate throughout April.  There are many websites and groups with events and challenges taking place.  I stumbled across one (I think it was via Facebook) where they are working on a collaborative sestina.  Since I've never written one, I had to look it up to remember how it works.  I stumbled upon a random sestina generator... which is kind of fun to play with.  It doesn't give you the actual full sestina, but will place the end words in the order they need to be in which is kind of amusing in itself.  I was thinking that this might be what I need to get me back to writing.  A highly structured format leaves far less wiggle room and may help me to get beyond my mental block. 

Readwritepoem.org has some interesting exercises, so I'm going to keep my eye on them and hope to try a few out.  I'm also going to try my hand at the poem prompts on the Poetic Asides blogs.  So many options, so little time.

Write away. 

No comments: