Pages

Monday, October 22, 2007

So much stuff going on...

Not much time to blog. :(

I've had the beginning of this post, sitting in my "drafts" folder, for almost a full month now. Part of the problem is that I have been sick and/or not feeling well for a full month. I finally went to the doctor a little over a week ago and she said she didn't know what it was but could be a virus. She gave me a prescription for the good sudafed (to get rid of the congestion) and then did some blood tests. They came back with a couple of things that were off, but she figured that it was due to something viral. I am still run down and not feeling well. If I don't continue to take the Sudafed, I feel awful. Now I'm going to be hooked on Sudafed forever. Grrrr.

I am heading into my fifth week of classes at Evergreen. It has been full of ups and downs. I feel like a fish out of water there. It is what I want as far as learning style, but at the same time, I don't feel challenged. When I went to Antioch, it was the same type of environment, but I was challenged as far as the learning was concerned. I don't know if it is just the point I'm at in life, or what. The only class I'm really enjoying is the Lyceum. It is a seminar-based class where we have a guest speaker for the first 90 minutes, and then the last portion is discussion. My professor is terrific. He's one of those uber-smart people and you would just love to sit and listen to him talk/lecture forever. The other reason that I feel out of place there is that I feel like the only person interested in writing and/or arts of any sort. I think that 80% of the people going there are interested in social work (or education), 10-15% are interested in law, and the rest are interested in the environment. I feel like a freak of nature there. In one of the Friday sessions, the instructor asked how many people wrote poetry. I was the only one who raised my hand. Granted, there weren't a whole ton of people there, and in any group it would be a small number, but it has been the same for pretty much any type of writing. I am really hoping that it will get better. I don't want to just coast through and tolerate the next 8 months. I'd really like to be engaged and feel like I'm somewhat challenged. The only challenge I am facing right now is how to fit life, school, homework, art, friends/family, the literary festival and all of my household chores into the mix without losing my mind.

No comments: