Pages

Friday, October 02, 2009

Art junkie

I'm forever lured in by art. Not all art, but a good majority of it. I've subscribed to the Tacoma Arts list serv, and every once in awhile a cool project comes along that really gets me re-energized about art.

The new project I'm jazzed over is to create an art door for an auction. The auction is for Tacoma Art Place, which is an amazingly cool organization. I've taken a class there, and hope to sign up for a membership soon. They have a lot of interesting classes offered, and once you are a member, you can go in and use their space, use the kiln, etc. Anyway, they need money, like everyone does, so they are holding an auction and selling off art doors. The cool thing is that the only rule is... there are no rules! That kind of freaks me out because even though I'm not the most structured person, I do like the idea of some guidelines. But I guess I will just go with the flow and see what happens.

After I decided I'd jump in and try it, I thought it would be a brilliant thing for Matt to do. My brother is a tile setter extrordinaire. Unfortunately, he doesn't go out and sing his own praises or market himself much, and work is really slow right now. I thought it would be a great idea for him to get a door and do some sort of a mosaic on it. I know it would be amazing. Not to mention, the creator gets half of the funds.

I picked us up a couple of doors this week. They are old and heavy and not the easiest to work with, but I think we can each come up with something cool. I'm starting to formulate an idea for mine now. I think I'm going to create a storyboard type of thing (of course I would). But since I don't have Matt's mad drawing skills, I will have to come up with some sort of collage-y goodness to complete it. That's okay though because I have the idea... now it is just a matter of getting it to come to fruition.

The other good thing about this project is that it will give Matt and I a chance to bond. We don't have all that much in common, and we both have busy lives, so we don't get to spend much time together. This isn't going to provide time together, but at least we can text back and forth and send pictures of our progress. Should be fun.

My door is big and heavy and dark brown right now. I'm going to see about scraping some of the paint off it so I can start fresh.

I'm excited to get started! :)

No comments: