Pages

Monday, June 11, 2007

School!

Okay... now I'm excited, although I'm not really sure why. I guess I am such a geek as far as school is concerned. I'm enrolled for summer quarter at Pierce to finish my math credit. I also signed up for a cinema/media class (for fun) since I needed to have a minimum of 6 credits for financial aid. I can't wait for that class to start. Math, I could do without, but at least I jumped ahead by re-taking the placement test. I jumped three classes. Yay! I had to re-take it and try to finish because I was applying for transfer to Evergreen.

I got accepted to the Evergreen State College for my final (senior) year of my BA. I wanted to go to the Tacoma campus, for accessibility reasons, but they only offer one program (as far as I can tell). The good thing about the program is that it is geared towards flexibility in schedule for evening/weekend students and with the credit load that they are running in the program, I will be finished (and graduating) next year! But then I look at the program, and it kind of scares me.

I am used to all of the touchy-feely stuff from Antioch, but this is even more so. I guess once I get a feel for the school and the program, it will be different, but it just seems so weird.

My previous education at Antioch, was totally geared towards psychology and community building, so it shouldn't freak me out. But that was such a long time ago and I feel like such a different person now. I used to be so passionate about all of this stuff. I don't know where that all went. I guess I didn't focus on it because I was working in other fields and not able to really work it all in. But I'm getting excited about thinking about all of this stuff again. And I like the idea of the future career stuff in communication and media arts. I hope that will help me be able to get into PLU for grad school. We'll see.

Here's my program.

Removing Barriers, Bridging Gaps
Fall, Winter and Spring quarters
Faculty: Gilda Sheppard (sociology, media literacy), Tyrus Smith (environmental studies), Artee Young (law, literature), Paul McCreary (mathematics), Duke Kuehn (organizational development), TBA
Major areas of study include leadership studies, urban education, scientific and mathematical inquiry, research methodology, interdisciplinary studies and media arts.
Class Standing: Juniors or seniors; transfer students welcome.
Prerequisites: Formal admission to the Tacoma program. Prospective students must attend an intake interview. For information about admission and the application process, call (253) 680-3000.
This year's program is designed to help students discover new understandings of capacity building and the various issues associated with effective leadership. We will focus on individual and community capacity building and the role that humanities, social sciences, mathematics, science, media and technological illiteracies play in informing our understanding of the world around us. A major emphasis of this program will be the examination of internal and external factors that influence one's ability to access, overcome and excel in spite of personal and institutional barriers. The expectation is that students will be able to demonstrate understanding, action and leadership in their areas of interest.
This program takes a holistic approach to capacity building and systemic change at the community level. For example, one area we will address is that of math, science and writing phobia. Communities need citizens who can advocate for their children, parents who can navigate and understand the law and care-givers and teachers who can assist our youth in understanding subject matter presented to them in the classrooms. Evergreen students who anticipate careers in education will be provided with a solid grounding in the humanities, science and math. This grounding will allow them to obtain endorsements for further studies in education and prerequisites for graduate school. Students will also have an opportunity to work with an award winning and nationally recognized after school youth program.
During fall quarter, students will study historical notions of leadership, leadership theories, leadership styles and contemporary views of leaders and followers. Students will also focus on their personal experiences and the world around them in order to understand those internal and external factors that have limited or encouraged them to achieve, to take on leadership roles and in civic engagement. During winter quarter, based upon work done in the fall, students will identify, develop, and explore models of educational leadership that have led to capacity building and systemic change. Students will enhance their knowledge of contemporary leadership theory and work actively toward the application of leadership principles through collaborative research projects.
In spring quarter, students will bridge the gap between theory and practice. To that end, they will utilize a variety of expansive methods, from writing to media, in order to demonstrate and communicate their perceptions and findings to a wider audience. Students will present their collaborative research projects publicly. The information presented will be directed toward benefiting individual and community capacity as well as communicating a wider understanding of their findings to enhance their own lives, the lives of those in their community, and the world that we all share.
Total: 16 credits each quarter.
Enrollment: 225
Internship Possibilities: In spring quarter, with program coordinator and faculty advisor approval.
Special Expenses: Approximately $50 to $100 for media, lab and/or storage supplies.
Program is preparatory for careers and future studies in community development, organizational development, law and public policy, education, social and human services, public administration, communication and media arts, environmental studies and public health.

No comments: