Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ulcers

 
ulcer [(ul-suhr)]

An inflamed open sore on the skin or mucous membrane. An ulcer may form in the inner lining of the stomach or duodenum, interfere with digestion, and cause considerable pain. 

("ulcer." The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition.    Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005. 27 Aug. 2007. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ulcer>.)

I think "considerable" is the key word there.  Considerable may even be putting it *too* mildly.  The "considerable" pain is forcing me to make a dreaded trip to the doctor this afternoon.  I have been having trouble with my stomach lately, and it is really frustrating.  It seems like, no matter what I eat, I am having stomach pain.  Enough is enough.  I'm tired of trying to *figure out* what would be okay on my stomach at any given time.  Even simple things that you don't think about (like salad dressing) push me over the edge in just a matter of minutes.  If it isn't heartburn, it is the pain that makes you break into a sweat and turn all pasty and gray.  Not attractive.  The pain that makes you stand in the middle of Fred Meyer and chug Pepto Bismol.  (Only later to think about the fact that everyone probably expected that I had some *other* issue... how embarrassing is that?)

***

The doctor said that it was, indeed, a peptic ulcer.  So now I'm on a prescription med for the next 6-8 weeks or how ever long it takes for it to stop bugging me. I'm supposed to stay away from:  spicy, caffeine, vinegar, tomato-y, greasy/fatty, sugary, chocolate, too much carbonation, etc.   No fun.  Hello bland foods and goodbye to the Dew.  :( 

DaVita Inc.

No comments: