Sunday, April 29, 2012

Boys Will Be Boys?

So yesterday DD got home late from work. She was on the computer after dinner, before getting Little Mister to bed. I was entertaining him (still) and told her she should be doing that since she hadn't gotten much time with him in the past three weeks. She took him upstairs to put him to bed, and they were goofing around. She was trying to get his blanket sleeper pjs on him, and I think she had the feet on first and was moving his arm around to get it in the sleeve when he jerked away from her giggling and playing. The next thing I know, I hear him screaming bloody murder over the monitor. He wouldn't move his arm at all without screams. We took him up the street to the ER. We had to wait for almost an hour and a half before being taken to a room.

They thought that it was a "nursemaid's elbow" situation where his elbow came out of the socket. The doctor had to wrench it back in. She tried it the first time, and it didn't work. So she had to do it again. I thought I was going to pass out because it was so gross and he was screaming so much. PS, I don't do well in medical situations. She said to give him a few minutes and then he should be fine and like nothing had happened because 98% of the time, that it the scenario. Of course, with him, it wasn't. Ugh. He still wouldn't move it without crying. So that kept us there another two hours while they x-rayed, poked/prodded and monitored him. We were wondering if it was his wrist/hand, but they x-rayed his elbow. It looked fine on the x-ray. So they finally put his whole arm in a splint thingy and sent us away. He is completely miserable and can't/won't move it at all, and even the slightest movement makes him start to cry. They told us to take him to the pediatrician or an ortho doc on Monday.

We left the hospital, and bless his little heart, he was trying to sing along to "We Are Young" by Fun that was on the radio.  Too cute.  We got home around 1:30. Finally got him to bed shortly after 2.  Jessica just went into work so she could get off early because she knew she couldn't sleep for 3 hours and then get up and go to work. I couldn't get to sleep because Jessica's evil cat was throwing herself at the door (because I was sleeping with Little Mister and wouldn't let her in). Then Tim woke up and called me a little after 3 because he was confused as to where I was. I finally went into our room because the bed in the other room is horrible, and Little Mister was taking up the whole space. About 20 minutes after I finally fell asleep, Little Mister woke up screaming with his night terrors. I got him calmed back down and back to sleep and then finally got about 2.5 hours of sleep before he woke up crying again and then was up for good.

I tell you, I am feeling every minute of my 42 years today.

Jessica finally got home from work about an hour ago and took him down to Oregon because they were scheduled to spend the next two days with her dad (a 3 hour car ride... good luck with that).

I told her that I'm surprised we haven't had a visit from child protective services yet. He is 27 months old and has had two x-rays on his feet, one on his head, a CT of his head (not even a month ago), the x-ray last night on his arm, three ER visits (including one ambulance ride), paramedics have been to our house four separate occasions, a neurologist visit, a urologist visit, and countless doctor appointments. His medical chart is going to be huge. And the fortunate thing is, that even with all of that, he is totally healthy and has no major problems. Everyone last night just kept telling us that stuff like that is expected with boys. Seriously?

I don't know how parents handle major medical issues without losing their minds. I bow down to all of you who have to deal with it. I can't even imagine.

He was adorable when we got home and he was excited over the news that we were going to bed...


Jennifer Smith-Sloane said...

He is so adorable! I'm glad all is better now. Thanks for leaving a comment on the giveaway at my blog today! :)

Winnie said...

He is precious. Love your layout! How fun! Great colors and title and I love that you journaled.