Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Five Things: A MSA Post

This is my first time doing Five Things, and I was really surprised at how overwhelming it could be. I know that sounds silly, but to try to pin down five things that are inspiring me at any given time is really pretty difficult. Even when I ended up paring my list down and coming up with the idea of sharing five quotes that were inspiring... it was so incredibly hard to pick just five. But I finally did it. There are others that I might save/share in a future post, but here are the ones that inspired me at the time of posting.
1. I selected this quote because I believe that we each need to spend more time listening to our own hearts. We get so caught up in day to day activities that sometimes we barely have time to have conversations with loved ones much less with ourselves. That is one conversation that you definitely need to make space for.
via Pinterest

2. This is a reminder to myself of who I am. Sometimes I like to pretend that I'm tough. Act like I am cynical. Put up my guard so I don't get hurt by negativity or mean-spiritedness. But deep down inside, I'm just a big ol' softie. I'm totally emotional and raw, full of hopes, dreams, high expectations, glitter, unicorns and rainbows. Part of me is still that sixth-grade girl drawing hearts on my pee-chees and believing in happily ever after. I may keep her protected most days, but she's still there, and I embrace her.
via Pinterest

3. In the US, there has been a lot of turmoil in the state of Missouri with the Ferguson police shooting/killing Michael Brown. There were protests and riots. The National Guard was called in to maintain peace, and the FBI and other federal officials had to step in to sort things out. It was heart-breaking to watch. As a parent, I cannot even begin to imagine living through that scenario and the aftermath that followed. This quote struck me because no matter how far we've come, it seems that we see people as 'other' rather than thinking of others as we see ourselves. There is a lot of division and hate, fear and racism that lurk beneath the surface of society. But when I read quotes like this one, it gives me hope that someday the negative issues will diminish and that there will be increased evidence of peace.
via Pinterest

4. Mindfulness. It is one of those things that I'd heard before, but never really paid much attention to. Not until a doctor at a pain clinic told me that I needed to read a book on mindfulness. Then it seemed like mindfulness was everywhere I looked. To me, this really sums up the whole idea behind mindfulness.

via Pinterest

5. And finally, as a scrapper, writer, journaler, and memory keeper, this quote just really hit home for me.
via Pinterest

What stories do you want to tell this week? What moments do you want to share?
Use some of those stories/moments on a page. Or if you aren't ready to do that, at least jot them down on a piece of paper (or e-note) somewhere so you don't forget them. Keep a little memory jar on a counter or desk. Throw scraps of paper with recorded moments into the jar and read them at the end of the year. Cherish the memories. Live your story. Document the moments.
If you decide to use a quote or create a page inspired by something you've read, leave us a link in the comments so we can give you some love.


No comments: