Pages

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Overload

Life is crazy.

I know that is my big word. "Crazy." Everything is crazy. But it seems like it is a general, all-encompassing word to explain the inexplicable. It isn't necessarily pejorative. Just crazy. Dictionary.com defines it:

cra·zy [krey-zee] –adjective
1. mentally deranged; demented; insane.
2. senseless; impractical; totally unsound: a crazy scheme.
3. Informal. intensely enthusiastic; passionately excited: crazy about baseball.
4. Informal. very enamored or infatuated (usually fol. by about): He was crazy about her.
5. Informal. intensely anxious or eager; impatient: I'm crazy to try those new skis.
6. Informal. unusual; bizarre; singular: She always wears a crazy hat.
7. Slang. wonderful; excellent; perfect: That's crazy, man, crazy.
8. likely to break or fall to pieces.
9. weak, infirm, or sickly.
10. having an unusual, unexpected, or random quality, behavior, result, pattern, etc.: a crazy reel that spins in either direction. –noun
11. Slang. an unpredictable, nonconforming person; oddball: a house full of crazies who wear weird clothes and come in at all hours.
12. the crazies, Slang. a sense of extreme unease, nervousness, or panic; extreme jitters: The crew was starting to get the crazies from being cooped up belowdecks for so long. —Idiom
13. like crazy,
a. Slang. with great enthusiasm or energy; to an extreme: We shopped like crazy and bought all our Christmas gifts in one afternoon.
b. with great speed or recklessness: He drives like crazy once he's out on the highway.


How did my life end up crazy like this? I don't know, but I guess it is better than the alternative.

In 2001, I vowed that I would do things that I wanted to do. I recognized that life is short, and since we only have one life to live we need to make the most of it. Sometimes, I get bogged down in the drudgeries of the dramas at work or family or the stumbling block of finances keeping me from doing some of the things I want to do, but I'm still doing things. I'm trying to minimize the amount of regrets I'll have when I come to the end of my years.

This week is one where I'm feeling the overload though. I started volunteering at the Fulcrum Gallery (in Tacoma) a few hours a week to learn the ins and outs of gallery life, plus I get to hang out with the cool kids and become inspired. Can't beat that.

This upcoming weekend is my high school reunion, so there is a lot going on with that, I'm participating in a very cool poetry postcard project, I'm attending a "zine workshop" Friday afternoon, AND I'm supposed to be doing a short poetry reading at Showcase Tacoma (oh, and I kind of have to write some poems to read). Whew.

I will be glad when this week is over. {smile}

No comments: